Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Day in Santiago

After a lovely breakfast on the terrace, I took a taxi to El Pueblito de los Domenicos. This cute market of local artists is set in an old village. Each shop is like a little adobe house you see here. I bought myself a silver and lapis lazuli pendant, the local specialty stone. Spent several hours just wandering and sitting in the shade with a cool drink.





At 3 pm, the 140 people I will be sharing a ship with for the next 11 days piled onto four buses for a city tour. As expected, most are post 70 (not that there's anything wrong with that!). I'm sure I'll find some people to hang out with.

Santiago is not as pretty as Buenos Aires, but there are nice parts. We took an hour out to visit the pre-Colombian Museum, which was interesting. This is their president's (their first woman president) house.

I'm about to head downstairs for the welcome dinner. Then my luggage needs to be out in the hallway at 10 pm for pickup, and we hit the road for Ushuaia at 5:30 am. Not sure when I'll be able to post next, but hope to continue on a daily basis.

2 comments:

  1. How many photos did you take in this beautiful city? I took many and couldn't delete many because they were all beautiful! Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kermit is jealous. He has fond memories of Santiago from his student days. And I'm sure you will find one or two oldsters worth hanging with. Don't forget two of your favorite Babes fit in the age category you mentioned. Just look for a Geri or Priscilla clone and you'll do fine! Kiss a penguin for me. I really want to take that trip some day..... when and if my IRA ever recovers!

    ReplyDelete