Thursday, January 8, 2009

Best of BA

Great day so far. I began by taking a bus to the far side of town, to a neighborhood called La Boca, where the working class have decorated their houses in brilliant colors. It has become a must-see area of BA even though it's rather sketchy.







It was also in this area that I stopped at an outside cafe for an empanada for lunch and was entertained by two guitar players and a couple performing some street tango.









From there, I walked back to the main part of town to Plaza de Mayo. I was lucky enough to see the weekly march of the Madres de la Plaza de Mayo. Each Thursday at 3:30 pm, they walk in protest of their children disappearing in the Dirty War. Very moving.


I walked back to the hotel, about six hours of walking in all in 91 deg. heat. Now I'm back at the hotel resting before being picked up at 8:30 pm for one of those touristy tango dinner shows. Gotta do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment