Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Arrival in Buenos Aires

Made it! The 10.5 hour flight didn't seem too bad with the help of my little white pills. Arrived around 10 am BA time and proceeded through customs without incident. Luggage arrived with me which is always good.

Hired a Remise (town car) on the advice of my friend Gerard, who said that taxis are a bit crooked here. He also recommended my hotel, the Plaza Francia. Checked into the hotel around noon and crashed for a short nap. Showered and hit the hot and humid streets.

Started with a cafe con leche at a local cafe to get me going. Then walked around my swanky neighborhood, Recoleta, for a few hours and found this giant flower sculpture. It apparently opens and closes at night but I'm not waiting around to see that.

Having skipped lunch, by 8 pm I was getting hungry. Luckily, that's when restaurants begin to open for the evening. So I found the little restaurant near the hotel that Gerard had told me about. Small and casual, but good food. A bottle of good Argentinian malbec, a steak from pampas-grass fed beef, and flan with dulce de leche. It doesn't get more Argentinian that that.

Wandered back to the hotel where free WiFi lets me write this post. I hope the rest of the trip allows for such easy access. Off to bed to rest for a long day of walking tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment